Our nutty hemp seed oil is so versatile it’s actually a great replacement for sesame oil! The flavours work perfectly! This flavour packed curried broth recipe developed by Liv Kaplan is loaded with anti-inflammatory ginger and turmeric to boost your winter health… It’s also a tasty way to enjoy bone broth.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Coconut oil, for frying
½ red onion, sliced
500ml chicken bone broth or vegetable broth
250ml coconut milk
500g mixed mushrooms such as enoki, wood ear, shiitake
2 bunches bok choy, sliced in half lengthways
2 tablespoons Hemple Hemp Seed Oil
2 tablespoons Hemple Hemp Seeds
2 tsp coriander, ground
2 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp lemon myrtle, dried, ground
Few cracks of black pepper
1–2 red chillies, fresh
1 stalk lemongrass, root and tip trimmed, then chopped
1 heaping tablespoon fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoons fresh turmeric
½ tsp sea salt
2 lime, zested and juiced
6 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp coconut milk
- To make the curry paste, blend all ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor until combined. Transfer to a jar.
- In a medium saucepan over a medium heat, cook the onions for a few minutes. Add in half the curry paste from above and let sizzle until fragrant. Pour in the broth and coconut milk, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
- Plunge in the mushrooms and leave to cook for a further 5–10 minutes.
- Meanwhile to prepare the bok choy, heat a pan over a high heat and add a teaspoon of olive oil. Press the bok choy, cut side down on the pan and let brown for a few minutes.
- To serve, ladle the curry broth into two bowls, top with grilled bok choy and drizzle with hemp seed oil and hemp seeds.
Use vegetable broth to make it vegan.
Photography by Phoebe McCreath.