This little protein topper is packed with nutrition, you’ve got a good variety of amino acids from the various kinds of nuts and seeds as well as all the healing benefits of the Ayurvedic spices. We’ve saved the hemp seeds and added them in after roasting to preserve their healthy fats. Use this Ayurvedic Nutty Protein Topper on top of grounding soups and yummy salads to boost the flavour and nutrition… or just snack on it straight from the jar!
Makes: Approx. 6 cups
Dietary: vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, low carb
2 cups coconut flakes
2 cups mixed nuts
½ cup pepitas
½ cup sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
2 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon ginger, ground
½ teaspoon coriander, ground
1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1 teaspoon himalayan pink sea salt
Few cracks of freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180℃ and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, toss the coconut flakes, nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds.
- Add melted coconut oil to the bowl along with the spices, salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Spread out onto the lined baking tray and place in the oven for 15–20 minutes until toasted and golden.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly. Add in the hemp seeds and toss to combine. Store in a jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Recipe by Liv Kaplan
Photography by Phoebe McCreath