So clean and healthy…any day is a good day for tabbouleh! Enjoy this exotic summer salad which makes a great lunch or dinner side dish with baked fish or barbecued meats.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bunch parsley (about 2 cups lightly packed), stems removed
- 1 small bunch mint (about 1 cup lightly packed), stems removed
- 1 English cucumber (skin on), diced
- 1 small red onion, diced or 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup cherry/grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on size
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts (shelled hemp seeds)
- Drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil or Hemp Seed Oil
- Juice of 2 large lemons
- Sea salt & cracked pepper to taste
Rinse your quinoa in a fine mesh strainer to remove any dust (sometimes I do this, sometimes I don’t). In a medium size pot, bring water, quinoa and garlic powder to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, remove cover and let set for 10 – 15 minutes, fluff with a fork.
In the meantime, finely chop your parsley and mint. Dice your cucumber, tomato and onion.
Once quinoa is ready, add in the parsley, mint, cucumber, onion, tomatoes, hemp hearts, drizzle of olive oil or Hemp Seed Oil and the juice of the lemons, salt & pepper to taste, then gently mix together.
Serve with a few whole mint and/or parsley leaves and a lemon wedge.