Recipe by our nutritionist, Liv Kaplan.
Is there anything better than a stack of pancakes on a Sunday morning? We’ve boosted the nutrition of this classic brunch by adding our Hemp Seed Protein, making it extra filling and boosting the satiety. These pancakes are best eaten fresh! And the options are endless with toppings… Our fave? Fresh berries, organic maple syrup and coconut yoghurt, yum!
Dietary: vegan, dairy-free, egg-free, sugar-free, nut-free
1 tablespoon chia seeds
1 cup almond milk or plant-based milk of your choice
1 cup oats
¼ cup Hemple Hemp Seed Protein
1 banana, ripe
Coconut oil, for cooking
- In a bowl, combine chia seeds and milk with ½ cup of water. Let sit to become gel-like while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a food processor, pulse the oats until they resemble a course flour. Alternatively you can use oat flour if available.
- Add hemp protein, banana and chia seed mixture to the food processor and pulse until it resembles pancake batter, it doesn’t take much. You’ll still see some chia seeds intact, this is totally fine.
- Heat a pan or two over a medium heat and add a touch of coconut oil to the pan to prevent sticking. Pour in pancake batter into the pan, leave to cook until bubbles appear and you can easily flip with a spatula, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for another 4 minutes.
- Repeat until there is no more batter left. If the batter begins to thicken, stir in a touch more milk or water to loosen it up.
- Serve with your favourite pancake toppings!
To make them gluten-free, be sure to used labelled gluten-free oats. To make them nut-free, use rice milk, hemp milk or oat milk!
Imagery by Phoebe McCreath.